Friday, October 14, 2011

Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout

I usually don't hit the stouts and winter warmers until after the Celtic Winter season begins on November 1st, but I wanted to get an advance taste of things to come...and the local spirits superstore has a few in stock already. I admit that the label caught my eye first, but I've had previous good luck with Big Sky Brewing Company (Missoula Montana). Slow Elk was a dark dark color, which I thought was black until I shone my high intensity reading lamp through it and saw that it was actually an incredibly deep ruby red, almost like a Dr. Pepper. It poured pretty thick, almost, but not quite in the "beer shake" category. The head stayed in place for quite a while, about four fingers worth that oh-so-slowly dissipated. Lots of typical stout tastes: chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. Pretty good introduction to the season of darkness.

No comments: