Sunday, October 23, 2011

Autumn is on the way out...winter sneaking in

Partly due to my adherence to Celtic/Northern European notions of when the seasons change and partly due to when the seasonal beers actually arrive, I view the start of the seasons on November 1 for Winter, February 1 for Spring, May 1 for Summer and August 1 for Autumn. This is usually the switch-over point when I start drinking the new seasonals.

Right now, in recognition of October winding down I am working my way through a Sam Adams Harvest Collection. Today, I had the last two Irish Reds, which is a year-round beer, but fits in well with the Oktoberfests and Autumn Ales. I have a black lager left as well, and two Oktoberfests that will in all likelihood go down the hatch on October 31st. The Pumpkin Ales will probably cross over through Thanksgiving.

With the immanence of Winter, look for plenty of reviews on stouts and porters, as well as Christmas Ales, Winter Warmers and Spiced beers. 

No comments: