Monday, November 16, 2009

Religion and Politics

Recently I was contacted via Facebook by an old friend. This friend had been my room mate about 20 years ago, was the best man at my first wedding and married our other room mate, a woman who I lived with when I first moved to Nebraska back in 1980. He quickly figured out that my religion was significantly different than his and also found out that my politics were quite different than his as well. In response to a post that I made about a political statement that he made, he asked if I "worshipped Obama too". He followed this up with some pointed questions about mt faith and politics. Shortly thereafter he "unfriended" me from Facebook. Apparently he didn't want to contaminate his computer with any words or thoughts from the pagan liberal out here in Nebraska!

Don't get me wrong, people can believe whatever they want, but do you really want to limit your friendships to people who are exactly like you?

No comments: