Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Beer Review: Empyrean FestivAle & Limited Offering "Bagget"
















Not everything that Empyrean brews gets bottled. FestivAle is the winter seasonal offering that I tried yesterday at their downtown Lazlo's restaurant. I'd call it an IPA India Pale Ale, although it's not described as such on their website. 6 1/2 % alcohol content, citrussy aftertaste and the typical IPA emphasis on hops, with a higher bitterness number (47) than anything else Empyrean has to offer. Nice sippin' ale.


The second ale that I tried was one of their limited offerings. I think that they called it a "baggett", although I could not find any reference to a "baggett" ale anywhere. Nontheless, it was brewed with what they said was a huge amount of honey, giving it a mead-like taste, which i couldn't just, since I've never tasted mead! That being said, it wasn't overly sweet as I had been lead to expect, but smooth and refreshing with just a hint of sweetness from the honey. Easily a "lawnmower" beer.


No comments: