Thursday, April 28, 2022

Odell 90 Shilling Amber Ale


 I picked up an Odell's variety 12 pack today, it looks like I may have had, once upon a time, three of the four, but I'm going to review them again since it's been over 10 years. 

90 Shilling is an amber ale. Amber ales are kind of the middle-of-the-road work horses of the ale world, nothing fancy, no crazy flavorings or over-the-moon hoppiness. 90 Shilling pours a clear copper hue, with a thin beige head that dissipates pretty quickly. The ABV is 5.3%, which means it's not going to kill you, with 32 IBUs, which means you'll still have enamel on your teeth after a can or two. At one time Odell's called it a Scottish Ale, but in my view, amber ale describes it better, as Scottish Ales tend to be heavier with a smoky quality that this beer lacks. 

Caramel and pumpernickel bread are the prevailing flavors, yet they don't overwhelm. I think I'm detecting teeny bit of coriander and honey as well. Pretty decent ale, especially if you like to keep it simple. 


No comments: