Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Peppermint Porter

Halloween is over, as far as I'm concerned it's Christmas Season, Yule and Midwinter is on it's way, as much as I like cooking for Thanksgiving! 

I'm a big fan of winter warmers, those brown ales chock full of spices, but I don't believe that I've ever had a beer brewed with peppermint! Kentucky Bourbon barrel Peppermint Porter is about what you'd expect from the label: it tastes like chocolate and peppermint. 

The base ale is a typical porter, deep, dark brown with ruby highlights and a healthy tan head. It's got a moderate creamy consistency and would make a fine porter even without the added flavorings. The chocolate and peppermint are evident, but not cloying or overpowering. What I'm not detecting is any hint of oak or bourbon, but if they didn't advertise it on the label I'd have never known. I'd recommend it for a beer lover's holiday party. 

 

No comments: