Monday, September 5, 2016

Rubus Black Blackberry Porter

Despite the 90° temperature outside, it is time for the Fall beers, the glorious stouts and porters, the upstanding Oktoberfests and all those other Autumn brews. I've tried a few Brau Brothers beers, but this is my first porter. Rubus Black pours a deep dark brown, almost black. The head is scantier than I expected from a porter, about a half finger that quickly disappears. What you can't help but notice is the blackberry aroma. It's very blackberry-ish, extremely blackberry scented and blackberry flavored. Not that blackberry is a bad thing - I like blackberry, but maybe a bit too much. In addition to the blackberry, there's a 8.9% ABV, and even though there's no mention of barrel aging, there seems like there's a bourbon edge to it. I would guess that some spicy barbecue or Mexican dishes would complement this beer very well. Overall, pretty decent, but an outlier in the taste department.

No comments: