Saturday, August 30, 2014

Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout

Yes, yes, I know it's not the correct season for Ill-Gotten Booty to be drinking stouts, let alone Imperial stouts, and forget about Bourbon barrel Imperial stouts...but I was so intrigued by the new offering on the shelf that I had to pick up a four-pack.

Pours a really, really, really, deep brown, almost black that just sucks up the light with an invisible head. The bourbon comes through even before the first sip, as the aroma tantalizes the olfactory nerves. The name suggests that it might be a milk stout, a.k.a. a sweet stout, and it certainly has a creamy sweetness to it, as well as some nice vanilla notes. There is just a smidgen of chocolate and coffee, but not much, although I'm catching some dark fruits (fig, date, raisin) as it warms up. The consistency is a bit thin, but the taste isn't. Please sir, may I have another?

No comments: