Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blue Moon's Short Straw - Farmhouse Red Ale

Short Straw is part of Blue Moon's new seasonal 12 pack that includes the previously reviewed Blackberry Ale, Agave Wheat Ale (reviewed last year) and Rounder, their Pale Ale.

I've seen some negative reviews on short straw, but for my money it was the best one in the 12 pack. Several of my co-workers in an informal tasting last Thursday agree with me. I'll not discount the influence of the 81 degree temps today, but this baby went down smooooth! Before you ask, I have no idea why it's part of the "Expressionist Collection", and the name Short Straw and the red packaging fooled me into thinking it was a strawberry ale (not a bad idea).

I'm not going to get all beer advocate-y, but this brew has the smooth sweetness of a good farmhouse ale and the malty character of a solid red ale. Two, two, two ales in one!

Enjoy.

No comments: