Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Your Black Heart Russian Imperial Stout

Russian Imperial Stouts...I've been a sucker for them ever since I was introduced to Old Rasputin; I hadn't spotted this brewery before: O'Dempsey's - from Savannah Georgia - a former home brewer who "went pro" in 2009. Black Heart poured into a tulip glass an impenetrable black - so black that I held it up to a lamp and couldn't see the 100 watt light bulb through it. Pretty hoppy at 90 IBU's, but plenty of sweet malty flavor as well. Even at 8% ABV not much heat from the alcohol - to me that's a good thing; sometimes with the high ABV beers the alcohol content detracts from the taste. And taste there is aplenty - raisins and figs, as well as coffee and dark chocolate. Very thick and hearty. Excellent nightcap to herald the first snow of the year; hail to the gods of snow and beer!

No comments: