Sunday, May 27, 2012

Blue Moon Agave Blonde Ale

Let me preface this review by saying that I love agave. I was slightly ahead of the fad wave on it, having discovered it as a sweetener at The Mill a few years back and started using it instead of honey in my tea. For a while I could only buy it at Open Harvest, but now you can get it anywhere; in fact I have agave-maple pancake syrup in my cupboard, as well as agave nectar. As many of you know, blue agave is the plant from whence tequila is derived, which may account for its popularity. I really thought that I'd like an agave sweetened beer - hell, the honey wheat was good, why not the agave. I bought it as part of a Blue Moon variety 12-pack, which included three Agave Blondes. The impression that I got after drinking the first two was that it was just too sweet. They had screwed up by adding too much agave to the mix. And working on the third as I write this, I'm going to stick with that assessment, although I find that two things make it more palatable: eating some spicy food and getting it icy cold. I'm snacking on some pickled garlic (yeah - really) and pickled  Jalapeño and red bell  peppers. I also put the beer in the freezer for a while and am taking full mouths full rather than sipping. I kept half a bottle in the freezer to maintain the temperature, which is helping enormously. I guess the bottom line is that i would drink this again if someone gave me one and it was really cold, otherwise I think I'll give it a miss.

No comments: