Friday, March 16, 2012

Saranac White IPA

When out of town, one must try the out of town beers. I'm out on Long Island (pronounced Lawn Guyland) visiting Mom & Dad and I came across Saranac beer, which I had previously spotted in a beer industry magazine. Saranac hails from upstate New York, from either Ithaca or Utica, depending on what source you believe. White India Pale Ale (IPA) is a relatively new style, a combination of an IPA, with it's higher IBU - hop content, but smoothed out by the use of Belgian wheat, giving it a sharp, yet smooth taste. Saranac poured a smoky lemonade hue, with a tall three-finger head, cloudy with sediment due to its unfiltered nature. There's some prominent lemon, coriander and some orange peel. The white IPA is very drinkable, sessionable...I look forward to a few more of these at my brother Mike's tomorrow.

No comments: