Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Beer Review: Goose Island Matilda

Pours with a thick, frothy head that dissipated quickly. Cloudy, due to the sediment from the live yeast added. Cool red grapefruit-like color. Actually, grapefruit really dominated the taste, with a little honey and maybe some peach/nectarine thrown in. Definitely some hoppiness in there, but a different hoppiness than what I'm used to. They're calling this a Belgian Style Ale, but it's got a heck of lot more bite than the other Belgians that I've sampled this year, and not just because of the 7% ABV. Andy, who gave me this one, had asked me if I liked "sour beers", and "sour" is most assuredly one of the adjectives that describes this ale. What kind of food would go well with Matilda? How about some seafood cooked Cajun style? Or maybe some hot Barbeque?

No comments: