Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Red Hook "Out of Your Gourd" Pumpkin Porter

From August 16th, 2015
Last of the pumpkin ales currently in my fridge, Out of Your Gourd pumpkin porter is a surefire winner. Pours a chocolate brown with a frothy tan one-finger head, this isn't one of those ales where the flavoring overwhelms the beeriness of the beer...if you know what I mean. Solid roasted malt foundation, sweet, but not cloying. Lots of spices floating around but not clamoring for attention: nutmeg, cinnamon, even a little cranberry. If you're a porter guy or gal, if you're a pumpkin ale aficionado, then this gourds for you!

Notes added September 6, 2016
My appreciation for this porter increases every time I taste it. The head poured a lot deeper this year, four fingers easily with that reverse waterfall effect that characterizes a porter or stout pour. One thing that I did not notice last year was the maple syrup, which evidently gave Out of Your Gourd  its sweetness, but did not seem overly mapley this year, even when I knew it was there. This is by far one of my favorite pumpkin ales and one of my favorite porters.

No comments: