Thursday, September 1, 2016

Brickway Coffee Vanilla Stout

Another offering in the "Session Series" out of Omaha's Brickway Brewery. Using cold-pressed coffee (look it up, I don't know what that is!) from Grey Plume added to their oatmeal stout with a bit of vanilla thrown in. As I poured it from the can I was immediately aware of the strong coffee and vanilla aromas. I'm not always in favor of adding flavorings to beer, as it sometimes distracts from the "beeriness" of the brew; but chocolate, coffee and vanilla consistently add to the quality a well-brewed stout or porter. This stout pours a mahogany brown with a "reverse waterfall" four-finger head which slowly recedes to a thick, tan coating. Aside from the flavorings, this appears to be a dry, that is non-sweet, stout. The ABV is a very sessionable 5% and the hop character that is sharp, but not overwhelming. I can definitely see myself enjoying a few of these on a chilly autumn night.

No comments: