Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Wasatch Black O'Lantern Pumpkin Stout

From October 2015
I was looking for Red Hook's Out of Your Gourd Pumpkin Porter, but sadly they were out, but the helpful beer store guy suggested this pumpkin stout from the Utah Beer Collective: Black O'Lantern. It poured a deep mahogany, with scarlet highlights and a brief tan head. The mouthfeel was very thick and creamy, there was pumpkin and spices, but not overmuch, mostly nutmeg. It had an almost eggnogy taste to it, if that makes sense. Pretty decent stout, but if you're looking for a great pumpkin ale, this isn't it.

Updated September 6, 2016
I've changed my opinion since last year. While the words I used to describe the beer are pretty spot on, I think I must have been disappointed that I couldn't find any of the Red Hook pumpkin porter last year. Trying one now, I'm much more impressed than I was last year. Even without the pumpkin this would be a very good stout, the pumpkin spices just add to the seasonal feel.  I'd upgrade my opinion to "this is an outstanding pumpkin stout"

No comments: