Saturday, May 30, 2015

Samuel Adams Rebel Rider Session IPA

Apparently there's a "Rebel Family" of Sam Adams IPAs and this is one of them! I've seen the Rebel West Coast IPA but haven't tried it yet. "West Coast" typically indicates "real hoppy", but Rebel Rider, while hoppy enough at 45 IBUs isn't what I'd call overly hoppy. Honestly, while I generally like what Sam Adams puts out, sometimes I think it's just too much and they're stretching themselves too thin. Yes, I know you have to compete, but geez, pick something (or a core group of somethings) that you excel at and stick with it. That being said, even at 45 IBUs, Rebel Rider tastes pretty hoppy. There's some astringent pine-tasting hops, mixed with some citrus and some orange peel. At 4.5% ABV, it lives up to the "session" appellation, and while I don't find it to be outstanding, it's definitely worth a second look.

No comments: