Thursday, April 26, 2012

Moretti LaRossa


Okay, we've moved on from the hotel bar to a pseudo-Italian restaurant called "Bravo". I scan the menu and am somewhat disappointed at the paltry selection of beers, but what do I see? Italian beers? I've never sought out Italian beers in the past, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. It wasn't too clear what I was getting, but I figured a "LaRossa" was just going to be a red lager or amber ale or something like that. Wrong again hops-breath! Moretti LaRossa is a doppio malto, or what we would call a double bock, or Dopplebock. It poured from the bottle a deep ruby red with a thick tan head. The aroma was a sweet, malty, and fruity, with a strong showing from black cherries and molasses. Very heavy on the malt, and on the heavy side. Pretty respectable Dopplebock. It wouldn't be my first choice of bocks, but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at it either.

No comments: