Friday, September 25, 2009

Beer Review: Boulevard Wheat


The first time that I had a Boulevard Wheat I didn't like it; this was a few years ago when I judged my beer by how much I could drink before last call at O'Rourke's; quantity was more important than quality. It was just too different for me. I stayed away from wheats after that. Then, two years ago I tried some Empyrean Ales wheat and found out what I was missing.
So now I'm working on a variety 12-pack from Boulevard, earlier today I had a wheat. Now wheats, especially unfiltered wheats like this one tend to have a sweet, citrussy taste, about an average alcohol content and go down real smooth. Boulevard is light, but flavorful. You certainly don't wnat to gulp it.
I would say, after having developed my beer palate this last year or so, that Boulevard is a king among wheats. I rate this one a 9 on the IGB beer scale. I started it off tonight as I was grilling and finished it with some chicken, and the two seemed to go together well.

No comments: