Friday, July 3, 2020

Upslope Rocky Mountain Kölsch

The Kölsch style is one my favorite undemanding summer beer styles. So much so that I thought I'd explained just what a Kölsch is recently. I had not.

A Kölsch is one of the hybrid styles, based on the type of yeast and method of fermentation (warm, top fermenting) it's an ale, but like a lager it's allowed to age in a cool place (lagering). What you get is a beer where the hidden tastes that come out in an ale combine with the refreshing crispness that comes with a lager. Most Kölsches tend to be on the sweet side - Upslope's Rocky Mountain Kölsch is a bit sweeter due to the added honey, but I'd say they added just the right amount - it's not at all cloying. The sage is very subdued; you can barely detect it until it starts to warm up a bit. There's also some subliminal citrus, predominantly lemon zest. Surprisingly good. Up until now Zipline has been my favorite Kölsch, but I believe that it has now been dethroned.

No comments: