Friday, July 10, 2020

Melvin 2x4 Double IPA

When I began my India Pale Ale trek a few weeks ago I had picked a few beers that were well outside the bitterness level that I would attribute to an IPA. Coincidentally each one that I chose had higher ABV and IBUs. 2x4 DIPA (double IPA) clocks in at almost 10% ABV and over 100 IBUs. Yes, I said ONE HUNDRED IBUs!  Surprisingly this ridiculously high bitterness level doesn't translate into the astringent, paint peeling quality that ultra-hoppy ales often have. It pours a hazy apricot hue with a pure white FOUR-FINGER HEAD! The astronomically high hop content imbues 2x4 with complex flavors rather than bitterness. There's ripe citrus, pine, honey, pineapple, mango, peach, grapefruit and indistinct floral. All of them swirling around in a tasteful dance.

9.5 on the IGB IPA scale.

No comments: