Monday, May 3, 2010

Mad River Brewery: John Barleycorn Barleywine Style Ale

Hey! I just got punched in the face with a fistful of hops! And a 9.1% ABV! First, follow this link for a definition of barley wine :
"It is called a barley wine because it can be as strong as wine; but since it is made from grain rather than fruit it is in fact a beer." (Quote from wikipedia)
When poured, the head was virtually nonexistent, dissipating almost immediately; the color is a deep mahogany and the taste, as I alluded to before is heavy on the hops and you can really feel the heat of the higher alcohol content. It reminds me a bit of Scottish Ale, with hints of smokiness and peat, lots of caramel. Supposedly you're supposed to drink this from a snifter, but I've got it in Sam Adams glass. One of these days I'll have to get a collection of the different types of glasses that the real beer fanatics drink from. Not your everyday ale, but a nice cold-weather treat.

No comments: