Saturday, November 27, 2021

Brewdog Hazy Jane New England Style IPA

For the second of twelve, I thought I go for the IPA without the added fruit flavoring. I probably should have started off with this one, before sampling the mango or peach, just to get a good baseline, but time travel just is too energy intensive. 

As advertised, Hazy Jane pours extremely...well...hazy. I dipped a toy hockey stick in it and could barely see it through all the cloudiness. It pours an apricot hue, with a fuzzy white three-finger head. Without the distraction of the added fruit flavor, the complexity comes through. Pineapple, apricot, citrus, tangerine. The hop character is piney, but not very bitter. It's also brewed with oats and wheat, although the ratio of those two grains to the total isn't specified, but oats tend to give a beer a creamier, heavier character. I wasn't overly impressed with the mango version, but my opinion of the underlying ale just went up after sampling this one. There's a Hazy Jane Peach to still try, but I'd gave the basic Hazy Jane an 8 on the IGB IPA scale. 
 

No comments: