Saturday, February 6, 2021

White Elm Brewery's Flat Roofin' Brown Porter

Another local brewery that's making a name for itself, I haven't had a lot of their beers, but I've liked what I've tried so far. I couldn't find a description of this beer on their website, but I wonder about the style. Porters don't usually need to be described as "brown", since they always are brown. Possibly a hybrid between a brown ale and a porter. I'm going to proceed as if that's the case. Flat Roofin' pours a deep brown, almost black, with a three-finger beige head. It's got that nutty-caramel taste that you'd expect from a brown ale, but some subtle coffee and chocolate notes that is the mark of a porter. The lack of creaminess suggests that it's closer to a brown ale than a porter. The IBUs are likely pretty low, since I'm not detecting any hop bitterness. Overall a decent brew, but nothing special. 6.5 on the IGB scale.  
 

No comments: