Saturday, March 26, 2016

Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout

It was Avery Brewing night at Yia-Yia's last night and this was the first one that I tried. At 17.1% ABV I had it in a six ounce glass. I pint glass would have probably put me in a coma. It's an oak bourbon barrel aged stout, but felt kind of like a chocolate quad. The aroma reeked of alcohol, but it didn't assault the tongue as I expected. It was one of the smoothest brews I've experienced in quite a while. The mouthfeel was very thick and heavy, I might even say...stout. there was some definite bourbon character, as well as a melange of dark fruits: black cherry, figs, raisins. Asit warmed up the chocolate notes came to life, as well as some vanilla. It really stretched this one out, partly out of respect for the high ABV, but also because it was so complexly tasty, I just couldn't rush it. Head on down to Yia-Yia's and get some for yourself.

No comments: