Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sierra Nevada Vienna Lager

Sierra Nevada...one of those breweries with which you can't go wrong. I spotted their Vienna Style Lager in the Fall variety pack. Since I had never heard of the style before, I was curious. According to my research, I found that despite the style is uncommon in Europe these days, but is popular in North America, where it is sometimes referred to as "Pre-Prohibition Style Lager". Sam Adams Boston Lager and Yuengling are all well-known examples of the style. Dos Equis and Negra Modelo are Mexican beers in this style and can trace their origins to Austrian immigrant brewers in the 1800's. Sierra Nevada's version of the style pours a coppery amber, with an off-white head that doesn't get above a finger and a half. It's heavily carbonated, with a sweet, caramel tinged quality. I detect some fresh-baked bread, a little toffee and some unidentified spices. At 5.3% ABV it would be easy to have more than one. Highly recommended from IGB Central.

No comments: