Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Miller Fortune

Got a free bottle of Miller Fortune today. Miller-Coors is marketing this as a beer for bourbon drinkers, and suggests that you drink it out of a "rocks" glass. Okay. I often drink my high-end beers, including those that were aged in bourbon oak barrels, from just such a glass, as well as tulip glasses and brandy snifters. Often the different glassware brings out the taste better than a regular pint glass. I'm drinking some now from a Jack Daniels "rocks" glass and I'm just not feeling it. It does have an amber hue suggestive of bourbon and not much of a head, which you wouldn't expect from bourbon, but there really isn't any taste of bourbon that I can detect. So, for the second half of the bottle I'm switching to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Despite the misleading marketing, it's not a half bad beer, just not what they say it is. There's some malty sweetness to it, hinting at honey, with very little hoppiness. On the back side there's a little bit of vanilla...and I've got a search party out looking for the bourbon flavor.

No comments: