Sunday, February 12, 2012

Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing is another of the seemingly endless supply of craft breweries in Colorado, and I've seen their beers on the shelves, but alas, I haven't tried too many. As part of my "Dark February" I'm sampling as many stouts and porters as I can stand. First off, Yeti pours an inky black, reminiscent of tar, with no light making it through, even along the edges. There is no head to speak of, even when pouring straight down the middle. The heavy malts, 9.5%ABV and 75 IBU's all conspire to give Yeti a whiskey-like smoothness that I've come to expect in the best Imperial Stouts. Contributing tastes include semi-sweet chocolate, brown sugar and figs. (Yeah, that's right, I said "figs"!). Definitely not, in any way, shape or form, a session beer, but great for these cold nights that we've been experiencing.

No comments: