Monday, January 23, 2012

Whole Hog 6 Hop IPA

Finally got to do some beer shopping with my stepson Andy. We hit the local supermarket, which amazed me at the incredible selection in the mixed-six-pack section. One of our choices was Whole Hog 6-Hop IPA by Point Brewing. Some of my early experiences with Point were less than satisfactory, but they've been coming around lately. they classified this one as a double IPA, and the 8.5% ABV certainly gave it a hefty kick. But there was something definitely un-IPA-ish about it. First of all: the color. Yes I know color doesn't necessarily have anything to do with taste or style, but usually IPAs tend  tend to the golden end of the beer spectrum, or at least amber. This one had the hue of a multi-grain wheat bread, and in fact the taste was reminiscent of bread. Andy and his wife Tiara thought that the taste and aroma was that of rye bread...I agree. There was also some toffee and roasted grain, maple and brown sugar as well. The hops didn't really stand up to be counted, although I caught some hoppiness as took a full swig rather than a sip. Good stuff; I'd sample it again.

No comments: