Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Beer Review: Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier (Smoked Beer)

As "rauch" is German for "smoke", the name "rauchbier" naturally means "smoked beer". Smoked beers are definitely an acquired taste, Scottish ales typically have a "wee bit" of smoky flavor, but a rauchbier really pulls out the stops. Drinking it straight the other night, I wasn't sure what to think; it tasted like drinking a beer in front of a campfire. I wondered if the heavy smokiness could be balanced by some spicy food, and I was right. Susie made some enchiladas tonight, and I added jalapeños and picante sauce which was a perfect pairing. Underneath all that smoke was a rich maltiness and a kind of caramel sweetness. I believe that it is a lager, not an ale, which helps define the crispness of the underlying beer beneath all that smoke. I can't see myself knocking back  a couple of these, but it's for sure a fine brew.

No comments: