Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Old Rasputin Imperial Stout

Beer Review from 2009: Old Rasputin is jet-black, thick as tar and purs a thick chocolaty brown head that reached own to the bottom of the glass before slowly shrinking to a frothy head. Molasses and chocolate overtones. Drinking this one was like drinking a malted beer shake. Creamy, smooth, high ABV%, best tasting beer so far...10 out of 10...maybe 11
Since we're obviously not quite done with winter yet, I thought it appropriate to break out some Russian Imperial Stout, and what RIS is the best that there is? Your mileage may vary, but for my money it's Old Rasputin. In addition to my notes above, in tonight's glass (a Leffe goblet) I'm detecting some roasted coffee beans and cocoa. It's a lot hoppier and more carbonated than I remember from the last time and some tangy dark fruit: figs and black cherries in the aftertaste. Everyone should have one of these at least once a season to keep it all in perspective.

No comments: